[CQ-Contest] Unsportsmanlike?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Unsportsmanlike?
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Tue Nov 5 13:37:31 2002
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/4/02 12:14:21 PM Pacific Standard Time, jim@forsyth.net
> writes:
>
> > A certain level of proficiency is required even to get your feet wet,
> >  apparently he has not yet reached that. Perhaps it would be better to
> assist
> >  him in improving his CW skills first.
>
>     Methinks I detect some cw "elitism" here which is precisely why I gave up
> on the CW Sprint - too many cw elitists who weren't interested in slowing
> down or giving me the information I asked for.
>
>     CW SS should NOT be for hotshot cw ops only. I thought we were trying to
> encourage more activity.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve     K7LXC

Not necessarily.  There would be a minimum speed I'd expect someone to be
able to do if he were to hang in there in a CW contest.  Perhaps 15 wpm?
I don't think a 5 wpm code proficiency is going to cut it in a major
contest like SS.

Would you want a driver who just can't drive over 90 mph without losing
control of his car to attempt the Indy 500?  (It has been done ...)

73, Zack W9SZ