[CQ-Contest] Unsportsmanlike?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Unsportsmanlike?
From: k9mi@arrl.net (Mike Brown)
Date: Wed Nov 6 03:25:12 2002
=0D
I'll have to admit that I let myself get in a bad frame=0D
of mind durring CW SS and spent a lot of time =0D
doing other things. I'm not a 5 wpm extra. I passed=0D
my 20 wpm test back in 86. But, I didn't use cw=0D
much after that. I even had about a 5 year period=0D
where I didn't even own a rig or operate. Who is=0D
to blame for that? Must be that guy I see in the=0D
mirror every day.=0D
=0D
I am no cw whiz period, but I also am too stuborn=0D
to lay down and give up. My Plan A was to go=0D
high in the band and call CQ at 20 wpm. I thought=0D
that most would answer at that speed. Some did,=0D
and some didn't. Well, here's another mistake I=0D
made. I should have sent QRS instead of hitting=0D
F9 on TRLog to send the "?".  Looking back, =0D
another mistake I made. =0D
=0D
Contests like the ARRL 160 are a lot easier for me,=0D
since the exchange is really short. SS requires=0D
one to be more "on the ball" then any other=0D
contest due to the longer exchange. I did use the=0D
TR simulator some, and felt I was doing halfway=0D
decent, not great, but not terrible, running it at=0D
around 24-26 wpm. Well, all well and good, but=0D
perfect code, with no background noise, no qrm=0D
no qrn is quite a bit different then when you go=0D
to the rig. =0D
=0D
The "wait and get the info, then call" idea is fine.=0D
I should have done more of that. The only problem=0D
with that is, if the station you want to work is =0D
cq'ing and not getting any response, then you=0D
have a problem because you can spend a lot=0D
of time there waiting. When I ran into this=0D
situation, with guys going probably 30 wpm+=0D
I would send my call at around 20 and I assumed=0D
they would send the exchange close to my =0D
speed. And yes, I did have the call of the=0D
station before calling.  Well, my mistake=0D
here was assuming that station would come=0D
down to my level. Well, looking back on that=0D
technique, that means I was assuming that=0D
operator could read my mind. Well, that is=0D
not always going to work. Some did, and I=0D
appreciate that. But, I don't feel the stations=0D
that came back at high speeds were in the=0D
wrong. Again, I could have used QRS and=0D
more then likely, they would have sent the=0D
exchange slower. Again, my mistake.=0D
=0D
Well, I could whine and blame the other guy=0D
and never try another CW SS again. But, I=0D
have another plan. Buy a set of paddles=0D
(I've relied on the pc for all my sending)=0D
and get on the air a lot more often. =0D
Yes, I'm sure I'll make a lot of mistakes=0D
before I get the hang of using them. And =0D
I'll no doubt be going slow, at least until =0D
I learn to use them. Sure, I'll use the pc=0D
durring most of the contest, but there=0D
are times when it would be easier to=0D
just use the paddles instead of taking=0D
the time to put the program in keyboard=0D
mode. =0D
=0D
Does this mean next year I'll do better? =0D
Well, I hope so, but, even if it doesn't, I'm=0D
sure I'll feel better about it, since I'm not=0D
going to do what I did this year, and that=0D
is get frustrated and quit. I was mad at=0D
myself, and beat myself menatally. I'm=0D
going to work at becoming a better cw=0D
op because it's just not in my nature to=0D
give up. If I said "well, cw at contesting=0D
speeds, just isn't my thing", then that=0D
would mean I would be giving up and =0D
only operating half the contests. Naw,=0D
that isn't going to happen. Time go get=0D
in gear and do my best to improve. I =0D
hope otthers that struggled this weekend=0D
feel the same way. =0D
=0D
73 - Mike K9MI=0D
=0D