[CQ-Contest] CQWW - are signal reports optional?and changes?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWW - are signal reports optional?and changes?
From: felipe@isla.net (Felipe J. Hernandez)
Date: Mon Nov 25 18:28:33 2002
Ok
=20
Ok Ill forward an email that I responded to Paul, where he corrected me
already so I wont get 100 other emails saying that Im wrong=85
=20
=20
=20
Hi Felipe,
=20
>I think is very simple, if you dont get a report it is not a valid
>contact  for the Dxcc awards and others,
=20
Sorry, but you are misinformed.  No minimum report, or indeed any
report whatsoever, is needed on QSL cards for any ARRL award.
=20
=20
I guess that most of the world is as misinformed as me so at the end is
the same result.
=20
=20
You will probably know that neither ARRL Field Day nor Sweepstakes
have signal reports.
=20
Yes I do, but then a again are different contests and they attrack a
different crowd.....
A crowd that=92s less everyday and Field day is not really a contest.
=20
If you are unsure, please check with ARRL.
=20
>Don=92t change it...
=20
Why?  Do you think that CQWW is perfect and could not possibly be
improved, even by making RST optional?
=20
Too globalized of an idea... CQWW is not perfect,  we will have to
consider them separately and if we are going to make changes to it , let
them be meaningful ones that will attract newcomers.
=20
I think everyone knows that everyday there are less amateurs world wide,
we wont get more qsos shorting the time of them, we get more qsos
getting more people on.
=20
With all the attention going to computers and data is very hard to
believe that its going to grow. In fact I don=92t think that it will
happen, I think that all the growth we need is already in tens of
thousands of Technician type amateurs all over the world
That don=92t know the thrill of low band Dx ing and contesting .. if you
ask me lets merge some of this contests into one and its going to bring
growth at all levels.
=20
Just picture this:
=20
Its CQWW 2005 and the Bavarian team has installed another weapon a 5
meter dish for EME  from CN8 they also have a Six meter 4 yagi stack
towards europe.
=20
What they don=92t count on is that the team from HC8 now has a super
system that will probably yield them with  qso=92s with thousands of =
JA=92s
from 6 to 2 meters. =20
=20
All over the world there are teams that will bring their best Vhf and
microwave guys to exceed in this categories most of these new guys have
never operated the low bands=85
=20
I can be all day here talking about the possibilities of such activity,
suddenly contest expeditions to rare countries can be combined and have
many more just because its easier to share the cost with more operators.
If you think about it, its us low banders that don=92t like to be =
compared
with the VHF likes that don=92t do anything exciting and usually don=92t
know CW.=20
We will still have multiple categories and people can choose what they
want to operate
We just have to use basic business principles here=85 more market share
the more cross sell you can do to them. Get more people ni the activity
and they will get more involved and their competitive spirit will kick
in. Remember our competition comes from the dilution created by all
these new things to do. (computers and playstations)
=20
Sorry for the Bandwidth, but I just could see another conversation
regarding futile changes to the CQWW.
=20
73,
=20