[CQ-Contest] CQWW - are signal reports optional?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWW - are signal reports optional?
From: w7why@harborside.com (Tom Osborne)
Date: Wed Nov 27 05:48:27 2002
Paul O'Kane wrote:

> I'll gladly send 59(9) to anyone who asks for a report.
>
> 73,
> Paul EI5DI

Hi Paul

Or you could set the computer to send 569 or 579 or 439?  All
signals are not "5nn" to be sure.  Just as many are 579 and some
are even 439.  It amazes me how many times someone asks me to
repeat my report 2 or 3 times then sends "5nnxx." If we are going
to send a canned report, why not send something other than 5nn?
If the report is the "thing", any report we send has to be right,
right?  Just so the other station copies what we send to make it
a legal exchange.
Tom W7WHY