[CQ-Contest] self spotting vs other cheating

Subject: [CQ-Contest] self spotting vs other cheating
From: KI9A@aol.com (KI9A@aol.com)
Date: Mon May 26 13:09:09 2003
OK, now we have the self spotting deal exposed, which, IMO is great. But....

Really, does self spotting give a station "that" much advantage, at least
compared to other forms of cheating, like big power for instance?

Yes, after a rare station is spotted, there is a pileup. But, if the station
is indeed rare, others will spot it, therefore making self spotting a rare
station, mute.

If I am spotted, in Illinois, during the SS, there isn't a whole lot of a
pile-up on me.  So, if I was to 'self-spot" myself, whether it was was legal or
not, how would that help me?  I have entered the packet catagory in various
contests for the past couple of years, so I see myself spotted every once in a
while, & I can tell you that I have seen no real increase in rate (at least
here
in Illinois!) during those times.  Maybe a little spurt, but that is it.

I think the real cheats we need to deal with are the crowd that thinks 2kw is
low power, & the crowd that uses packet, but claims they are not assisted!
That, my friends, is more important than self spotters.

Just my 2 cents..

73-Chuck
KI9A