[CQ-Contest] self spotting vs other cheating

Subject: [CQ-Contest] self spotting vs other cheating
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Wed May 28 14:10:45 2003
Nice idea. BTW, the LoTW key pair could be used for this application. It's
already authenticated by ARRL, so most of the first three steps would be
unnecessary. You would, however, have to send the LoTW certificate
containing your public key to the SYSOPS unless ARRL agreed to make the LoTW
certs available to the SYSOPS. Of course, your friendly contest logging
program author would have to implement the digital signature code in order
to send signed packet spots and the Packet Cluster software would need
digital signature verification code and certificate database management
code. This is not as huge as it sounds -- hopefully all contest and log
program authors will implement LoTW interfaces, so their code will already
contain all the subroutines needed for the task.

Minor point: PKI digital signatures don't use checksums. That's a different
technology. There is an analog in that the data (spot) is encoded using a
one-way hash, which bears a slight resemblance to a checksum. The hash is a
unique fingerprint of the data. The hash is then encrypted with the private
key and the result is the digital signature. Verification consists of
decrypting the hash using the public key and comparing the result to a hash
computed from the data. If the decryption fails (usually known from header
information included with the hash prior to encryption) then you know the
signature is fake. If the encryption succeeds but the hashes don't match,
then you know the data was altered after signature.

73, Dick WC1M