[CQ-Contest] self spotting vs other cheating

Subject: [CQ-Contest] self spotting vs other cheating
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Tue May 27 22:04:52 2003
I don't see how Cabrillo could be used to write a "hidden" file... I'm sure
Trey & Tree will correct me if I'm wrong, but it sets out how to write a
"standard format" undelimted ASCII text file that can be read and processed
by the contest organizer's and their computer systems (from the email
"robot" on down).

Ed had a nice thought... but I also suspect that those sophisticated enough
to try and go to these lengths to fake their identities on the cluster would
easily discover hidden files (and how would you send those files without the
cheater's knowledge?) or other hidden clues.

This is not intended to condone cheating -- far from it!  I'm just not sure
what the practical solution is.  We could ask a contest organizer to simply
add to the rules something to the effect of "faking out the packet cluster
to hide your identity is grounds for disqualification" which sounds nice on
paper... but enforcing it, that's the rub...

73, ron wn3vaw

"I would like to do 3000 more" -- Sportscaster Guy Junker on his 3000th
"Sportsbeat" show.
The next night, after his 3001st show, for reasons left unclear, Fox Sports
Net Pittsburgh declined to renew his contract & fired him.
(Source:  Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Saturday, 17 May 2003)