[CQ-Contest] self spotting vs other cheating

Subject: [CQ-Contest] self spotting vs other cheating
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue May 27 16:56:55 2003
Hi Ed,
Your logic is OK except for one thing: this isn't as much about watching
spots as placing them.

The majority of these self spots don't go in from the main running
computer, they would be sent in from another computer on site using the Web
and DX Cluster Web interface.

And even if they did go in from the main computer, there's no reason why TR
or CT or NA would know or would be able to know that another program (IE or
Navigator) was running concurrently.

So a station could set their log preferences to whatever they wanted and
nobody would be able to tell otherwise.

Of course, the same holds true for watching spots. There's no way for
Cabrillo, TR, NA or CT to know that another computer is running elsewhere
in the shack.

When I've done multiop, we watch spots -- as permitted -- on another
computer, not on the main one. Primarily that's because we don't have a
packet node in our area and have to connect via the Web and don't want
anything happening in Windows to crash our DOS program TR, NA or CT.

The method illustrated by K1TTT really is the only way, short of putting
referees in every shack, to know that someone is self-spotting.

73, kelly
ve4xt