[CQ-Contest] Contesting from the basement

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting from the basement
From: k3pp@ptd.net (Glenn O'Donnell, K3PP)
Date: Thu Jul 24 11:56:50 2003
This is the most interesting thread to appear on this reflector in a LONG
time (thanks Jim!).

Hal's issue with cold feet is well noted.  A concrete floor is a massive
thermal mass that will eventually overcome all of the insulation you can put
on your feet.  I have raw concrete underfoot. Of course, in the summer, it
works out pretty well (my dog and I LOVE the basement in the summer!).  I
like the raised floor idea and will likely try that in my next QTH that we
are currently trying to get built. I have a relatively small operating room.
It gets quite warm from all the hot air (both from the amp and the op!), but
my feet still get cold. Despite the cool floor, A/C is still needed in the
summer for the same hot-air reason. Carpet is warm and attractive, but awful
when you drop small parts (as has been noted).

This "aesthetic vs functional" issue applies to several aspects of this
topic.  My operating desk is homebrew and big (3' x 8') and my best decision
was to position it about 3 ft from the wall.  It doesn't look good (the XYL
hates it), but it has saved me SO much time when I change things around. I
grew frustrated with the desk up against the wall. I highly recommend the
"ugly but functional" approach if you can clear it with the "family zoning
officer".  I'm lucky enough to have one that could care less what I do with
my basement retreat, as long as I don't burn the house down (like I almost
did during the 2001 PA QSO Party! - see
http://www.qsl.net/w3ha/illuminator/archive/2001-11/, also in the Sep/Oct
2001 NCJ).

Wiring also works more flexibly when you don't try to tidy it up too much.
I've managed to keep the wiring (both electrical and coax/rotor/switching)
neat enough without embedding it into the walls.  Power via external conduit
is both easy and safe. For other cabling, find some D-rings or cable tray
(if you're lucky enough to find some) that is commonly used in computer data
centers or communications rooms.  It makes cabling neat, yet flexible, but
it's generally not going to meet commonly accepted aesthetic standards.
Cabling run overhead or along the wall (outside, not inside) is my personal
preference. Anything under a raised floor is more trouble.  I learned this
when I ran some data centers.  Under the floor looks better, but it's a pain
in the butt.  A funny anecdote about wiring: My hero K3II blurted when we
were once rearranging his M/M station, "Wireless, my ass!"  How true!

I run my cables into the house through a 4" PVC pipe with a 45 degree elbow
outside and drip loops to keep the rain outside.  Inside, I have the SPG
panel with all cables running through PolyPhaser arrestors. I REALLY like
the idea raised in this thread about the ground rods through the floor.  The
next QTH will have these installed BEFORE the floor is poured. Great
concept, guys!

On the topic of looking outside, I agree that it's good to have a view, but
I also want to minimize the distraction sometimes.  K3II has a big picture
window right next to his main operating position (obviously a walk-out
basement). It is gorgeous to operate there. I must admit, though, that I've
been distracted by the weather (both good and bad) and wildlife frolocking
outside his place. VE4XT already noted the double-edged sword of the outside
view (or lack thereof). One truly positive aspect of a view is actually
seeing the weather conditions. My basement has a limited view outside and it
helps to drive the decision to shut down if a storm gets too bad.  The
static crashes tell you it's out there, but the eyes tell you it's too darn
close. One good thing about no view out is that there is no view in.  When
unwelcome people drop by to visit (i.e., to interrupt the rate), they can't
see you.  You just keep running, oblivious to their presence (and better
yet, them to yours).  :-)

I agree with the consensus on lighting.  Indirect, soft, incandescent
lighting is best for long operating.

VY 73 de Glenn K3PP