[CQ-Contest] Contesting from the basement

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting from the basement
From: k2wk@patmedia.net (Walt K)
Date: Thu Jul 24 17:24:12 2003
Glenn, et al:

At my last QTH I had an elevated floor.  I used rough cut 2"x4" 's over tar
paper followed by std wood flooring (shack had 1/2" plywood followed by
carpet) on the concrete basement floor.  If anyone decides to do this, I'd
reccomend using underlayment as the subfloor material.  It usually is 5/8"
3/4" thick.  The 1/2" ply just doesn't hold up well on chairs with casters.
All in all, the floor worked out real nice - feet were always warm.  As for
mass to hold heat, I had 2.5 tons of GA/TN marble surrounding the wood
stove.  It acted like a big heat capacitor.  When the fire went out at 2AM
the massive stone walls reradiated the heat the remainder of the night.
Due to unforseen circumstances my X lives there now :) and I live in
suburbia.

                                             73 de Walt - K2WK