Re: [CQ-Contest] SS beefs Post Wrap-up Show

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS beefs Post Wrap-up Show
From: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 20:48:40 -0600
Tom, N0SS, said:

>Even at the start (sometimes) I'll get requests for repeats on
>single-digit numbers. As a result, I always send a SINGLE
>leading zero for Q's 1 thru 9.

How can I put this...I think most of us hardcore contest operators
understand there's a time for it and a time not for it, and we act
accordingly.  Tom, if I worked you and you sent 01, it would be a non-issue.
Your signal is good, your operating style is competent, etc.  I would get it
in the log the first time and that would be that.

I brought it up because there are guys out there (a LOT of them) who are
probably not reading this, who have weak signals and whose operating style
sounds insecure, etc.  THEY should not be brainlessly leaving their leading
zero option turned on.

A leading zero sent (and not copied confidently due to signal level) under
these circumstances introduces unnecessary uncertainty which, if the zero
hadn't been sent, the uncertainty wouldn't have been introduced.

This is a good example of "you can only break the rules after you've learned
what they are and understand them thoroughly."

I don't mean to sound elitist, I'm just trying to call it like it is.
There's a time and a place for leading zeros, and experienced operators
know what those times and places are.  However, many people presently using
leading zeros are not experienced operators and DON'T know when leading
zeros are and are not appropriate.

In a QST piece directed to "the beginning SS operator" or "the first time SS
operator" or entitled "Your First SS?" or whatever, a sentence saying "avoid
using leading zeros" would still be a good thing.

Mark, N5OT