Re: [CQ-Contest] SS beefs Post Wrap-up Show

To: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS beefs Post Wrap-up Show
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 07:14:02 -0500
At 08:48 PM 11/7/03 -0600, Mark Beckwith wrote:
I don't mean to sound elitist, I'm just trying to call it like it is.
There's a time and a place for leading zeros, and experienced operators
know what those times and places are.  However, many people presently using
leading zeros are not experienced operators and DON'T know when leading
zeros are and are not appropriate.

In a QST piece directed to "the beginning SS operator" or "the first time SS
operator" or entitled "Your First SS?" or whatever, a sentence saying "avoid
using leading zeros" would still be a good thing.

I'm scratching my head trying to think of a time when leading zeros ARE appropriate. The trouble is that the full Zero character could also be 1 or 9 with just a single burst of interference. It's better if you use a T or long dash, but please, no REAL zeros.

73, Pete N4ZR The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 29. 2469 stations are listed -- 29 new and over 100 updated. Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm