Re: [CQ-Contest] Logbook of the World as substitute for bureau QSLing

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Logbook of the World as substitute for bureau QSLing
From: Jim Roller <n4ir@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:17:11 -0500
Hi Pete,

Since I don't generate the volume of bureau cards you do (1K per year),
I can't really say. I have been using LotW since it was available and
will continue to do so. However, I will stick to my old standard: I will
respond to ALL (valid) QSL requests in the manner they are submitted.
The only exception is the cheapskate guy who sends a "postcard". I will
always respond with a card in an envelope because I don't want MY card
messed up by the USPS. I guess I have become the Old Geezer I used to
make fun of, but I LOVE to get QSL cards and really hope that LotW will
not replace them completely. I like the looks of LotW and have so far
confirmed 48 states and 57 countries on 45,000 Qs and 2069 matches.

You are ahead of me in one respect, though. I have never pre-emptively
sent QSLs of any kind. But I will always respond to requests for my
rather (very) un-rare Sullivan County, EM86, TN QSL. As for
non-contesters/DXers, I expect for the most part they will continue to
send cards as they have in the past. According to a recent ARRL survey,
over 54.6 percent of respondents use paper logs or do not keep a log.
Another 23.9 percent use a combination. For those who do not use a
computer, the direct data entry in LotW would be quite a pain for any
volome at all.

It will be interesting to see just how LotW shakes out with electonic
vs. paper QSLing in the future.

73/CUL,

Jim, N4IR