Re: [CQ-Contest] Logbook of the World as substitute for bureau QSLing

To: "Jim Reisert AD1C" <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>,"Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Logbook of the World as substitute for bureau QSLing
From: "N7MAL" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 05:11:26 -0000
Doug/Jim said: "As Doug W9WI pointed out, LoTW is too complicated for most
people.  We can not force people to use technology just because it's there,
or just because we do."
K3MD said: "It is unfortunate that LoTW is so complicated and
confusing to use, this is probably a design flaw that could be corrected
with more modern programming. "

Judging by the participation, in LOTW, it can't be to complicated except to
the folks who are noting it's to complicated.

LOTW seems to have a very good, early, foothold. All indications are it will
be a success. NN1N, Dave, at LOTW responds very quickly to any real or
perceived problems and I can tell you, from first hand experience, when a
real problem is identified it is corrected at light speed.

I know there very vocal advocates for all QSL systems, but  the one
constant is the 'majority' of the prestigious award certificates come from
one source, the ARRL. If you think LOTW is to complicated make suggestions
to the LOTW group to uncomplicate it. If you have programming ideas to make
LOTW easier I'm sure LOTW would be eager to see your ideas.

OP ED: LOTW is the perfect fit for today's instant gratification mentality.
You see a packet spot for a new one, your radio automatically QSY's to the
freq,(god forbid you do any more than necessary), you do work the guy either
with a memory keyer or DVK, and lastly you immediately upload your QSO to
LOTW for your QSL. Life doesn't get any better than that and you haven't
even worked up a sweat.

P.S. I predict next years big thread, 'whine whine whine' it took me a month
to get my LOTW QSL.

MAL                N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
www.citlink.net/~suzyq/N7mal.htm