[CQ-Contest] Old SS Battles

To: "Leigh S. Jones" <kr6x@kr6x.com>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Old SS Battles
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:03:19 -0500
At 07:36 AM 11/19/03 -0800, Leigh S. Jones wrote:
What I found, before I won the phone SS about 3 decades at W6HX where
I opped SSB SS was that the most effective method was to transmit MY
exchange screaming at full speed like a bat out of hell. If you give
the other guy the benefit of doubt and assume that he's not totally lame, then he's less likely to come back to you with lengthy and unnecessary statements like "thanks for slowing down for me but it's really not necessary" thus wasting more of your time...

As a beginning contester back in the early 70s when Leigh was in his prime at W6HX (along with Chip, K7JA at W7RM and George, W0UA at WA0CVS) I can indeed confirm from personal reception that he gave his exchange screaming at full speed like a bat out of hell. George was probably a close second, but as I recall Chip seemed a lot calmer :-)

The battles between W7RM/K7JA, WA0CVS/W0UA and W6HX/KR6X were legendary. I was a teenager and beginning contester back then and did not know any of these guys personally. Nonetheless, from the on air antics and the QST write ups it was a lot of fun to follow. I can remember a QST SS writeup (I think it was the 1972 contest) where there were a ton of W7RM antenna pictures plus one with Chip at the mic. Memo to ARRL HQ: *THESE* are the things which spur the young contester's imagination!

I wish we'd see some battles like this again. Admittedly, it takes the right combination of motivated ops combined with big stations, with a dose of die-hard competition tempered with sportsmanship and comraderie.

With a nod to Peter, Paul, and Mary - "Where have all the competitor's gone?"

Geez...I sound old.

73,

Dave/K8CC

--------------------------------------------------------------- The world's top contesters battle it out in Finland! THE OFFICIAL FILM of WRTC 2002 now on professional DVD and VHS! http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~jamesb/ ---------------------------------------------------------------