Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ pattern in contest - what's your vote?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ pattern in contest - what's your vote?
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:28:50 -0500
ES5TV wrote:
>I prefer to have TEST at the end - it seems useless in the beginning but in
the end it tells the station who stumbles on you that you are calling CQ. If
he just hears your callsign he does not know if you're CQing or just calling
someone. So seems logical to have it in the end.

        I agree with your logic Tonno, although I normally use the "speed up"
function for "TEST" at the end.  Even guys who cannot copy that fast will
know what you mean and I feel it adds a feeling of excitement to your CQ.

>Another question is that maybe it would be good to use longer more "CQ-like"
CQ to attract casual DXers in those long contest hours. They might be scared
and not answer so short and prompt calling...

        Again I agree, and add a CQ in front of W4ZV W4ZV TEST.  However I
find simply turning my speed down to 26-28 WPM is the most "friendly" thing
you can do to encourage casual ops to call (typically when band is not
hot enough for fast running or on the second day).

                                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV
P.S.  I hope my FT-1000MP is continuing to win for you!