Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ pattern in contest - what's your vote?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ pattern in contest - what's your vote?
From: "Charles W. Shaw" <chas.shaw@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:51:03 +0000
Some really good stuff expressed in this thread. Hope folks pay attention and benefit from it.

My 2 cents; (may be worth less in spite of inflation.):

Spare me the "K's" and the "DE's", please! I can also do without "CQ", but there are some times it might be justified. "TEST" is quite a bit shorter than "CQ". (One of you uses "TST" which is still shorter.) "R" is shorter than "TU", if you need it; (and I appreciate hearing it when conditions are difficult). Keyers temporarily run at a faster speed may not suit the die-hard "CW-is-an-Art" folks, but can be a big help. (I would rather hear "5NN" sent really fast than to hear "ENN" a little fast.)

Two things I can certainly do without are: "Ur RST 5 9 9 5NN" and,
the use of "BK" or "AR" at any point.
(But, if someone sends me "BK" with a fill after it, I might send "BK" back to him when there is another station also trying to get through to me at the same time.)

Then there are a few of those who wrote the book, who never need to send *anything* but their call and my report. I try not to slow them down--I know they are serious!

Chas - N5UL
Hobbs , NM