Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ pattern in contest - what's your vote?

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ pattern in contest - what's your vote?
From: "Tim Makins, EI8IC" <contesting@eircom.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:41:46 -0000
Only if your timing is bad. With hand keys and paddles you can put in the
space that identifies the difference between the next letter and a new word.
When I was taught CW in Merchant Navy school, this was drilled into us as
standard. With CW keyboards, it gets a bit more difficult. I understand that
some logging programs allow you to put in extra little spaces, though I'm
sure that others don't. When typing CW, who would hit the space bar ?!
hahaha - so things run together and cause the problem you describe. The
answer is to use a logger where the CQ string can have spaces added in.

One thing to think about, in the various replies to this thread: It seems to
me as if many are assuming that they hear the whole string of characters
when tuning the band ' CQ CQ W7DRA W7DRA TEST' or whatever. But in real
life, that rarely occurs - we hear a call, or part of a call, and have no
way of knowing just what is happening unless certain 'keystones' are
identified, with 'spaceDEspace' and 'spaceK' as the main ones. There's
nothing to achieve by sending on top of the calling station, thus, at the
end of a callsign, we are left wondering if that's all there is, or if there
will be more. Only the use of 'spaceK', 'spaceBK', or spaceKN' definitely
tell us to go ahead, so I can only assume that someone who always ends with
K in his CQ string would notch up a higher rate than someone who had a
string of identical length but without the K.

73s Tim EI8IC
www.qsl.net/ei8ic
Free zone maps, and contest bandplans