RE: Fwd: Fw: [CQ-Contest] Lost leading 'dit' - summary

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: RE: Fwd: Fw: [CQ-Contest] Lost leading 'dit' - summary
From: "Scott R." <w4pa@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:57:19 -0800 (PST)
--- Rex Lint <rex@lint.mv.com> wrote:
> Now, if the computer told the transceiver that "it's going to be time
> to transmit pretty damn quick, but not instantly," and the
transceiver
> passes the info on to the amp, then all of us old farts can get our
>acts together and not fumble the ball.  The computer does this >by
"asserting" the PTT line to the xcvr to switch it, instead of using
>the VOX to do that.
>
> Now, why haven't I hooked mine up that way?  I still have dreams that
> I'm young and my rig is young, and my amp is young, and all is well.
> Delusions, you might say.
>
> Rex K1HI

But there are rigs that will do that (protect your amp) without needing
to use the PTT line from the computer to do so.  With the Orion, we
introduce a small delay at onset to give the amp time to key before RF
drive appears.  Then, you can set the release to taste to assure that
RF drive has disappeared before the amp unkeys, and to make sure you
release quick enough so you don't miss the beginning of the incoming
callsign.  Works like a charm.

Scott Robbins, W4PA

=====
Visit the Tennessee Contest Group - www.k4ro.net/tcg.html