Re: [CQ-Contest] Lost leading 'dit' - summary

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Lost leading 'dit' - summary
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:54:19 -0500
VR2BG wrote:
>The Elecraft community has determined that you & everything in your
station need to conform to the rig, instead of the rig behaving the same as
everything else on the market (including the Orion, after the update).

>The Elecraft community is very hostile to suggested firmware changes, even if they are a good idea or can be done without changing whatever it is that they think is so important (like sending CW with the mic button).

Whoa pardner, you are putting me in the unusual position of defending a
company and radio I don't even own (yet). I feel Elecraft is very open to
changes suggested by users.

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/K2%20rev%202%20FW%20rev%20H.pdf

Granted, Elecraft has a different situation than Ten-Tec with Orion because
firmware cannot be uploaded via the Internet but must be supplied via new
hardware, thus they seem to collect a number of issues before making major
updates.  BTW, how many firmware updates are available for the FT-1000MP?

An excellent example of Elecraft's responsiveness is their response to
customer inputs about key clicks which required both hardware and firmware
changes in the latest revision. Would you please name one company from
your part of the world that has ever acknowledged that they even have key
clicks...much less one who is actually doing anything about them?

73, Bill W4ZV

P.S.  One knowledgeable K2 user seemed to think there was no problem with
his K2 keying his old Alpha amp, but perhaps he missed your point about
PTT.  It would probably be best to clarify this on the Elecraft reflector
rather than here.