[CQ-Contest] Response to K5ZD's comments

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Response to K5ZD's comments
From: "Bruce Sawyer" <zf2nt@candw.ky>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:03:15 -0000
Here's a different alternative to the 24/48 debate about ARRL contests:

Do the same thing the Brits do and offer a category where you only work 24
hours out of the 48 hour period.  I'm doing that at this very minute in the
Commonwealth Contest, having chosen to operate only 12 hours out of the 24
hour contest period.  It's not due to lack of stamina (sorry, Phillipe) nor
lack of interest.  I've got a plane flight tomorrow morning over to Grand
Cayman, and when I get there at noon I'm going to be very much on stage.
Thus there's no way I want to stay up all night tonight and then look like a
zombie tomorrow.  Interestingly enough, the Restricted (i.e. 12 hour)
category in the Commonwealth Contest is far more popular than the Open (24
hour) category.  I really think the same thing would work in the ARRL
contests.  Then people who want to slug it out for the whole 48 hours can do
so, and the rest of us can be quite content to compete for the junior
trophy, or whatever you want to call it.

Bruce, ZF2NT