RE: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self Spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: RE: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self Spotting
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:38:41 -0800 (PST)
--- Barry Merrill W5GN <barry@mxg.com> wrote:

> What utter poppy cock that you just point and shoot
> spots.  Talk to the multi-station operators, i.e.,
> every Multi-Multi, every Multi-Single, and every
> Multi-2, plus all of the Assisted stations, and
> especially for the newest spot, you'll discover
> that are all standing right beside you,
> they all have bigger guns,
> and there's only one duck for everyone to aim at.

Barry, this is an extreme view of packet.  Operators who use packet (SOA[U] and
Multi-ops) have learned how to time WHEN to head for a spot.  Remember, your
run frequency is at stake.  Once you get there, you will wait in line unless
you're FAST and LOUD.  The longer you stand in line, the more likely you are to
lose your run frequency.  Experience in knowing the operator you are trying to
work is a big plus two.  If CT1BOH is at P4, I'll work him eventually.  If some
lone HR or YS gets on late Sunday, you better be FAST and LOUD or you'll
probably spend the rest of the contest calling him.  One mult does not make up
for 30 lost QSOs.

The top operators know how to strike the right balance to use packet
effectively. I rarely see the operators at KC1XX (myself included) go after a
spot nanoseconds after it appears on the screen.  We used to lag in the
multiplier totals compared to other multis, but we're right on par.  We must be
doing something right.

73 - Jim AD1C

=====
USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC