Re: [CQ-Contest] LotW - Needs More Participation

To: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@r66.ru>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LotW - Needs More Participation
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:20:31 -0400
On May 20, 2004, at 12:18 AM, Igor Sokolov wrote:

That initial hassle is a bit too much. Why should I send photocopy of my
license and passport by snail mail when I could as well scan it and send it
by email. What is the difference?

Well, I can think of a big difference. I won't pretend to represent the thinking of the LotW administrators, so the following is pure speculation on my part.

Sending information by regular mail will show postage and cancellation from the country of origin. This, in part, could help confirm that the station gaining a certificate is legitimate, and not just someone who managed to finagle or forge an e-mail address.

Sure, the photocopy or the digital scan could equally be forged, but its much more difficult to forge the cancellation of the post.

Besides, my license is already on eqsl.cc
I thought the whole idea is to avoide using post office in the beginning of
the 21st century whenever possible.

Well, you use the post ONCE to gain your certificate, and there after you need not use it to QSL as many stations as possible.

So for the time being I will continue
sending updates of my log to my QSL manager who does not require my sending
him photocopy of passport and license by snail mail.

That is unfortunate.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901