RE: [CQ-Contest] LotW - Needs More Participation

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] LotW - Needs More Participation
From: "Darryl Wagoner WA1GON" <darryl@shecora.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:00:35 -0400

Wonder no more!  First with banks you have already proven who you are
when you opening the account most likely in person.  If not then there
was some snail mail for signature forms.  Just try to open and
checking/savings account in the US without ID and SS number.

Credit cards are a little different, but it still requires snail mail.
Plus there is a credit history based upon your SS# again.  Again try
having a 18 year with no credit history get a card over the Internet.
It won't happen.

> I seem to recall that they have me connect to their server, and by
using a
> SECURE 128-bit encryption system , have me supply the information they
> need
> to get me validated to look at my personal finances.

With LoTW you are not talking about looking at something, this is
affixing your signature to a document.  There is a big difference.

> Same with DoD!  They use some type of on-line authentication system.

I don't have a clue what you are talking about, but I will bet they have
a lot of information which only you know to authenticate you.

> Why is THAT acceptable for MORE important things while the ARRL
requires
> snail mail??

ARRL has none of the information to authenticate you which by what you
provide.  The other examples you have cited has some history with you.
Therefore you are comparing apples and oranges.  Try to get a digital
cert from VeriSign or any other CA.  See how much paper work they
require.

> I dunno. Maybe I'm just not hip to the way things are done.

Hope this gets you hip with the way things are done.

Darryl Wagoner - WA1GON
Past President - Nashua Area Radio Club
"Evil triumphs when good men do nothing."  - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]