[CQ-Contest] A Lack of Focus? (Was LotW - Needs More Participation)

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] A Lack of Focus? (Was LotW - Needs More Participation)
From: "Warren C. Stankiewicz" <nf1j@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 06:44:06 -0700
You know, someone brought up a good point about this that bears mentioning.
They discussed how their financial institution delivered their account and
password information.

You can even argue that the ARRL's position is even stricter than that
you'll find at your local bank or brokerage. Certainly, my bank and my
brokerages do things much differently than LoTW does.

Which brings up a question: Why? I can see when my money's involved. But
we're talking about mere operating awards here. A certificate to put on the
wall. Maybe a pin. If you're one of the "Deserving", someday a plaque.
That's it, folks. And when we're gone, how long do you figure they'll stay
up on the wall before they make the trip to the dust bin?

This obsession with security by ARRL's LoTW program mirrors the obsession
with the awards it supports by the users themselves. This used to be a
hobby, and some say it's a "public service"; but some people seem to
certainly have taken this beyond the looking glass.

With malice towards none,

Warren, NF1J/6