Re: [CQ-Contest] Awesome Morse Trainer

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Awesome Morse Trainer
From: "Dale L Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 08:40:10 -0600

* When working at high speeds, I am used to press <insert> to send the
station's rprt + number *while* entering the callsign,

This function is implemented in Morse Runner 1.4, please download the latest
version from http://www.dxatlas.com/morserunner

That should be interesting to play with and experience.
The primary purpose of MR is to help contesters improve their skills. QSO
editing is a kind of skill that, IMHO, does not require any special
training. To the contrary, one must learn to use it as rarely as possible.
It takes much less time to correct one's input before hitting Enter, when
the data are still in the box and the cursor is at the right place, than to
recall the data when it is already saved. MR just helps creating good
habits - or at least what I consider good habits ;-)
What do you guys think about this? Am I missing something?

I think the idea of instilling good 'behavior' while in the callsign, rst, serial number boxes is an excellent idea. However, there are times when one just plain makes a mistake that could and should be correctable in the log.

Instant error reporting is a valuable feedback that helps one correct his
style of operation on the fly and thus improve skills faster. I would not
like to sacrifice this feature for the ability to edit saved QSO.

I think the reference the other op had to this was the temporary appearance of NIL while the software was processing the QSO.

When I hit Enter and see that red NIL appear next to the logged entry, it's always a cause for worry and concern that I blew the QSO somehow. That it disappears is always a relief, but by then, my blood pressure has gone up a point or two just worrying while the red NIL was there.

If you could cause it to NOT appear until and unless it was an actual blown QSO, that would be great, Alex.

I have one more suggestion (in this e-mail):

Can you open up the RUN drop-down listbox (keep the listbox open) so that one KNOWS for sure which mode/category one is operating in?

The other night, I spent an hour working hard at what I thought was the Competition mode, only to find I was in the Pile-up mode (and that was my best ever score, too!!!).

I guess I figured the category would remain in what I was in when I ran the program earlier. When I rebooted the program, I blithely clicked RUN without looking at the mode/category. If the three categories could be displayed and the active category highlighted, that would help deadheads like me.

Thanks for a great program, Alex.

73,
dale, kg5u