Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Support

To: Igor Sokolov <ua9cdc@r66.ru>, cq-contest@contesting.com,Chris Pedder <chris@g3vbl.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Support
From: Andrei Nevis <v49a@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 15:54:08 -0700 (PDT)
As far as I know, year 2004 was a Record of submitted Logs (for SSB Contest)
despite of low Solar flux etc..
How did we all survive, say ten or more years ago when was NO Internet
existing? :)
73's Andrei EW1AR-NC2N

Igor Sokolov <ua9cdc@r66.ru> wrote:
Very sad.... Can someone present the dynamics of received logs in CQ
contests for the last 4-5 years?
Pretty interesting to see where these contests go.

73, Igor UA9CDC

> >OK, in which case - where can I find the results online? I am not
> >subscriber to CQ Magazine, I have no interest in becoming a
> >subscriber (not to mention the fact that I cannot afford it) so
> >where can I find the full results online?
>
> so what you are really saying is not that you 'cannot afford it'
but
> that you choose to spend your money in a different manner. CQ
> Magazine sponsors the contest, sets the rules (directly or
> indirectly) and decides how the results will be published; what's
> wrong with that?
>
> I cannot speak for CQ Magazine but even though volunteers do a
great
> deal of unpaid, and often unappreciated, work to produce the
results
> the contests must, nevertheless, have a cost in terms of money or
> resources. CQ Magazine is a commercial operation which, presumably,
> hopes to turn a profit on its activities. They do not force you to
> enter their contests and they do not compel you to subscribe BUT if
> you want to see your call in print, subscribing is what you must
do.

> It is worth remembering that some contests are only open to
> members/subscribers (some RSGB contests come to mind unless they
have
> changed) CQ Magazine has the right to run its contests as it
chooses
> though if the administration upsets too many people, they will vote
> with their feet.
>
> What it should not do is promise certificates/plaques and then fail
> to deliver them in a timely fashion... but that's another matter.
:)