Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW SSB. Mathematics

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW SSB. Mathematics
From: "Tonno Vahk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:32:10 +0300
nice to have some clear views on this thing.

Maybe Timo is right and this QSO is not legitimate though I don't see why
Run station should give full call of the other station and S&P station does
not have to. Anyway, of course in most of the cases I confirm the call as
well and very seldom do not. In CW, yes, the logging program sends N1 TU
anyway and that completes it. I absolutely agree with Timo that this is
ususally the best way.

Steve, you're mostly right predicting my answer:) Still, for that scenario
to happen not only has N2IC to be 20db weaker but his transmittion time has
to match N1IK's. Otherwise somebody will notice that something is wrong. In
reality such a coincidence happens very rarely and provided that the QSO is
legitimate (?) it would be rational not to repeat long calls sometimes. I am
sure CT1BOH would agree with me in the cost-benefit analysis as he is also
alot into probabilities:)

I am sure more BADs and NILs happen due to S&P station acting on wrong spot
or just miscoping the call but I am not going to ask each of them "whom are
you calling?". Lot more BADs happen on 40m SSB when EU stations listen on
the same frequency and the callers do not give the call of the station they
are calling.

So contesting is about compromises still and taking some risks and the
pluses and minuses of those risks are set by the rules so you cannot go
hedging all risks 100% like asking from S&P stations your call as it is too
costly. After all, if the station that calls me trusts me in getting his
call then I actually save his time also by not repeating it fully so you
cannot quite say it is at the expense of them but sometimes rather
opposite!:)

Anyway, it was knowingly a bit provokative case from me so just food for
thought...

73
tonno
es5tv