Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Multi-Single Rule

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Multi-Single Rule
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:06:34 +0000
Back in the "dark ages", when I was in college, we had a station (W1MX)
with only a single exciter and a single receiver.  But we sometimes had
more than one person who wanted to operate in a given contest.  So we
shared the contest period and the lone operating position, sometimes
setting up operating schedules, sometimes just "winging it" as to who
was the operator for each hour.  To my way of thinking, we were TRULY
multi-single.

I believe there are still people who like to participate in DX contests
that way today -- whether at club stations or home stations.  And I
believe there are many stations (dare I say "most") that it would be
next to impossible to configure so as to have two independent
transmitters active.

Now, if you define M-S as allowing a second transmitter to run around
chasing multipliers on other bands independent of the primary
transmitter, what do you do to these TRULY multi-single situations?
Have you frozen them out of being competitive in the so-called M-S
category?

Perhaps there should be an m-T-s category (multi-operator, TRULY single
transmitter)....

Bud, W2RU