Re: [CQ-Contest] QRPers..Illegal?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRPers..Illegal?
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 20:15:41 EST
In a message dated 11/8/05 12:30:10 AM Greenwich Standard Time,
N7MAL@CITLINK.NET writes:
I am even more impressed at the quality of some of the QRP signals. Several
were over S-9 and one in Colorado was even 20 over 9. Those QRP guys have been
doing a lot of antenna work and have really maximized their signals.

oooops: someone tell me how to get my tongue unstuck from my cheek......
Just because someone has a killer sig, don't assume they are running illegal
power.  Some of the guys at the bigger stations have done QRP.  I believe
W5WMU had a guest op a couple of years ago and I did it from my place two years
ago.  A four bay stack of 5 elements is good for around 16-18 db gain, over a
dipole.  This makes my five watts sound more like 160-320.  Couple this with
good conditions and it's not a surprise that a QRPer could be 10-20 over.

Bill K4XS