Re: [CQ-Contest] QRPers..Illegal?

To: "Zack Widup" <w9sz@prairienet.org>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRPers..Illegal?
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 07:02:11 -0800
From: "Zack Widup" <w9sz@prairienet.org>
To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 9:07 PM

>I remember about 10 years or so ago V73C running 5 watts was incredibly
> loud here on 40 CW in the ARRL DX contest.  I couldn't believe my ears.  I
> worked him later on outside the contest and he swore he was only running
> 5 watts, but with a beam over salt water if I remember correctly.
>
> It's amazing what the right antenna will do!
>
> 73, Zack W9SZ

One of the guys I work with who is a ham used to work on Kwaj.
He has a picture in his office of the 3 element 40 mounted on a
telephone pole only a stones throw from the water line.

BTW, this reminds of the email I sent to Ed, D4B remarking on
how genuinely loud he was on 160 meters out here in California
(S9+20 at times) in one of the contest (I don't recall which one).
He wrote back complaining that his amp had broken and that he
was forced to enter the contest in the low power category. I was
somewhat incredulous, until I saw pictures of his QTH (bluff
above salt water) :):)