Re: [CQ-Contest] QRPers..Illegal?

To: <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRPers..Illegal?
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 08:01:48 -0600
I remember setting up at my sister-in-law's cabin an IC740 and a 36 inch
whip with a loading coil for 10 meters at about 3 feet elevation with two
radials one year: guys in California would say I was the "loudest guy on the
band." This with a setup that, while 100 watts, would have likely produced a
effective signal about the same as a five-watter at an average
tribander-at-50-feet station. (It was also surrrounded by vegetation.)

The W1s, meanwhile, could barely hear me.

The only thing I can conclude is that these Californians were right in the
middle of my sweet spot for skip zones. When you have skip zones working in
your favour, it doesn't take much to peg the other guy's meter.

73, kelly
ve4xt