Re: [CQ-Contest] QRPers..Illegal?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRPers..Illegal?
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 14:21:51 -0500

I'm oceanfront here and I call this ocean in my yard "nature's amp".

One year in an effort to convince our club to enter FD in the QRP category,
I had a bunch of the guys over here and we ran 100W and switched to 5 watts
and although most guys we worked said there was a difference, many said it
was not enough to matter.  We received several S9+ signal reports.  Of
course this was with yagis (40M thru 6M) at about 100' ABSL beaming over
saltwater in about a 320 degree circle.  I'm on the South end of the island
and it runs NNW from me. The test worked, we entered QRP for the next
several FD's and ran the antennas from my dock on the bay side and did very
well.  The antennas all worked like gangbusters, especially the Bobtail on
80M and the biSquare on 40M.  We used A4S's with "armstrong rotors" for the
high bands.

I often have guys tell me I have a huge signal on 40M when I'm running
barefoot.

YMMV,

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, FL
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"