[CQ-Contest] what defines QRP/LP??

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] what defines QRP/LP??
From: kr2q@optonline.net
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 13:59:40 -0500
Hi all:

With respect to just what defines QRP (or Low Power or HP for that matter), you
do have to check with the individual contest sponsors...not that such an
inquiry is always revealing (please see below).

For example, ARRL IDX (and ARRL HF 'tests) define power in terms of PEP.  So on
ssb, it is 5 watts PEP.  CW = 5 watts key down = 5 watts "PEP".

In the CQWWDX test, it just says "5 watts"...so is that 5 watts PEP or 5 watts
average?  I always take the conservative approach and run 5 watts PEP.  On cw,
I always read it to mean 5 watts key down (usually I run 4...again, I like to
be conservative - it's a 20% buffer and nobody will ever hear the difference
from 5 to 4).

WPX is the same as CQWW DX...just says "5 watts".  HP says "1500 watts
total"...again, one is probably supposed to assume 1500 w PEP on SSB, but I
guess the current wording "technically" allows for some wiggle room....such as
1500 watts average.

WAE finds another solution: E.G. "Single Operator - max. output 100 watts - all
bands."  So MAX sounds like PEP to me.

SAC is sort of like WAE but from the opposite perspective: E.G. "Single
Op./Single TX/Multi Band - QRP (output 5 W or less)"

Of course, for WAE and SAC, if you wanted to push it, you could say that since
it doesn't define PEP or key down/average, you also have some wiggle room.

Finally...I do, in fact, clearly remember some QRP only contests stating that
it is 5 Watts CW and 10 PEP for SSB.  But that may have changed and since I
always take the conservative route...it is moot for me.

HNY!

de Doug KR2Q