Re: [CQ-Contest] what defines QRP/LP??

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] what defines QRP/LP??
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 10:09:35 -0000
From: <kr2q@optonline.net>

> For example, ARRL IDX (and ARRL HF 'tests) define power in terms of PEP.
>
> In the CQWWDX test, it just says "5 watts"...so is that 5 watts PEP or
> 5 watts average?
>
> WPX is the same as CQWW DX...just says "5 watts".  HP says "1500 watts
> total"...again, one is probably supposed to assume 1500 w PEP on SSB,
> but I guess the current wording "technically" allows for some wiggle
> room....
>
> WAE finds another solution: E.G. "Single Operator - max. output 100
> watts - all bands."  So MAX sounds like PEP to me.

There is no wriggle room.  So long as you accept a modern definition
of PEP, it's clear that max, average, RMS and PEP are identical for
all practical purposes.

The definition for PEP over here is "the average power during one
radio frequency cycle at the crest of the modulation envelope taken
under normal operating conditions".

You'll see there is no mention of mode in this definition - there
doesn't need to be.

73,
Paul EI5DI