Re: [CQ-Contest] what defines QRP/LP??

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] what defines QRP/LP??
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:14:27 -0500
On Jan 3, 2006, at 12:21 AM, Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 18:33, Mike Coslo wrote:
>>     Since we have some problems figuring out what QRP means to begin
>> with, what about ERP? If a person is running more than 5 watts ERP
>> are
>> they in compliance even though they are running 5 watts out of the
>> transmitter?
>
> ARRL rules mention only transmitter power output.  While I haven't
> read
> the rules to the CQ or NCJ contests I'm quite confident they're
> similar
> in this respect.
>
> For most amateurs I think accurately calculating their ERP would be
> more
> of a challenge than winning the CQ WW!

        That's what I'm thinking. I was being a bit of a devil's advocate in
asking the question.

        It seems to be an issue that could drive you bonkers if you let it,
though. Certainly measuring that 5 watt output with great precision
pales in comparison with what the antenna can do (or not do) with it.

Back to the definition......

        On the PAQSO reflector a few years ago, there was an ongoing debate
on this same subject. One of the interesting issues was just what
*was* a qrp setup. Some wanted the definition to be restricted to the
homebrew qrp rig setup, like a Rock-Mite type rig. The idea was the
simple transmitter / receiver versus the modern rig running at 5 watts.

This was a little before my time on the scene, Ron, WN3VAW may have
more precise info.

        - 73 de Mike KB3EIA -