Re: [CQ-Contest] what defines QRP/LP??

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] what defines QRP/LP??
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 00:39:20 -0800
Hmm... I'm am LP op.  Here's what I do for 100W LP with my 200W MkV.
The menu setting I use for the MkV watt meter bar graph provides some
hang time, i.e. the peak reading is held for a little while.  (Don't
remember the correct terminology).

CW - press the key, look at the MkV watt meter, adjust the RF level so
the bar graph reads 100W.

SSB - talk into the mic, adjust the ALC and Compression IAW what the
manual says, look at the watt meter, adjust RF level for bar graph max
of 100W.

RTTY - send diddle, look at the watt meter, adjust the RF level for 70W
because I don't like the measured heat sink temp at 100W after a lot of
unanswered auto-CQs.

This is really easy for anyone to do without worrying about calculating
PEP with the compressor on (if indeed that can be done without knowing
an awful lot more about the compressor characteristics than the
manufacturers will tell us).  I really don't know what else the average
ham could do without expensive measuring equipment.

If I'm in violation of any contest rules I sure hope the contest manager
will tell me what I should be doing in order to ensure compliance.

Similarly, if I'm being overly conservative with my SSB power level and
could be within the rules running, say, 150W peak according to the bar
graph, I'd really like to hear about that too.  Say, how about 200W if I
promise to turn the compression down so you can't hear the computer fan?

73 es HNY,
Jim   VE7FO