[CQ-Contest] 2006 SSB WPX

To: cq-contest <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 2006 SSB WPX
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:14:30 -0700
I would like to run a situation past the group:

Ham A enters the  WPX SSB.  He has a very common prefix.

Ham B is a former no code Tech who has a new  5 WPM Extra license.  As
many of these new 5 WPM Extras he has a nice new vanity call with a
unique 2 by 1 callsign with a somewhat different than normal prefix.
Ham B has no HF gear at all.  He is strictly a 2 mtr op.

Ham A, who is a friend of Ham B, thinks it would be neat to borrow Ham
B's unique callsign with a strange prefix for the WPX.

Ham A invites Ham C to his house to operate as a M/S HP entry making
almost 5 million points using Ham B's call sign.

Ham B's call is used but Ham B is never present at Ham A's QTH during
the contest.

Is this legal?  If I have a run of the mill prefix can I find someone
who is not interested in entering the WPX and "borrow" his call sign for
the week end to put a more rare prefix on the air as to get more replies
to my CQ CONTEST calls?

BTW, the call used in the WPX was on the list of the cheer leaders or
self spotters on the PACKET CLUSTER spot checks emails send out shortly
after the contest.

I am not naming the people involved on the reflector but please contact
me direct if you want the details.

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Official USCG Auxiliary Comm Station
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired