Re: [CQ-Contest] 2006 SSB WPX

To: <k7acz@cox.net>, "cq-contest" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2006 SSB WPX
From: "Stuart Santelmann KC1F" <kc1f@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:56:38 -0000
> I would like to run a situation past the group:
>
> Ham A enters the  WPX SSB.  He has a very common prefix.
>
> Ham B is a former no code Tech who has a new  5 WPM Extra license.  As
> many of these new 5 WPM Extras he has a nice new vanity call with a
> unique 2 by 1 callsign with a somewhat different than normal prefix.
> Ham B has no HF gear at all.  He is strictly a 2 mtr op.
>
> Ham A, who is a friend of Ham B, thinks it would be neat to borrow Ham
> B's unique callsign with a strange prefix for the WPX.
>
> Ham A invites Ham C to his house to operate as a M/S HP entry making
> almost 5 million points using Ham B's call sign.
>
> Ham B's call is used but Ham B is never present at Ham A's QTH during
> the contest.
>
> Is this legal?  If I have a run of the mill prefix can I find someone
> who is not interested in entering the WPX and "borrow" his call sign for
> the week end to put a more rare prefix on the air as to get more replies
> to my CQ CONTEST calls?
>
> BTW, the call used in the WPX was on the list of the cheer leaders or
> self spotters on the PACKET CLUSTER spot checks emails send out shortly
> after the contest.
>
> I am not naming the people involved on the reflector but please contact
> me direct if you want the details.
>
> 73

Yes, it's legal to do it.  I know, because I asked the FCC about the
"borrowing callsigns" practice now commonly in use in WPX, and got email
personally think it's a little silly to be contesting using a callsign that
gives no information whatsoever about the identity of the operator OR the
location of the operation.  But why stop there !  Let's just make up our own
fake callsign "handles" like CBers !  Even though it's OK with the FCC
doesn't mean that we can't hold ourselves to a higher standard...

This would be easy to fix in the WPX rules - "The callsign used must be
either the callsign of the operator or the station owner"

Yes, I have a WPX friendly callsign, but it's MY call...

Stu        KC1F