Re: [CQ-Contest] A proposal

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A proposal
From: John E Bastin <jbastin@sssnet.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 16:06:12 -0400
On Jul 31, 2006, at 11:12 AM, James Cain wrote:

> There is no LAW against an "Activity Day" (contest) on a "WARC
> band." There's no LAW against a five-word-per-minute CW ragchewer
> on 7010 during a DX contest, either. Somebody just has to organize
> the Activity Day, announce it, and pump it up. We could do it on
> this very reflector. You would not need high power or a beam to be
> competitive in an activity like this. How cool would it be if we
> moved the upcoming NAQP CW to 30, 17, and 12 Meters? (Oh, OK, it
> would be cooler if we had some sunspots.)

Not cool at all. I like to participate in contests, but when there is
a contest in progress in which I don't wish to participate, the WARC
bands give me a choice of places to go where I don't have to fight
for frequency space with contesters.

The WARC bands are narrow (50 KHz, 100 KHz, 100 KHz) and don't
present themselves (at least to me) as someplace where contesting
would find a friendly home.

PLEASE do us all a favor and keep your "Activity Days" on the non-
WARC bands. Having contacts made on the WARC bands count for DXCC and
other awards gives us quite enough activity there, thank you. As the
solar cycle starts progressing up again, I'm sure we'll see a lot
more. We do NOT need contests filling up these little slivers of
bandwidth.

73,

John E Bastin, K8AJS
jbastin@sssnet.com