Re: [CQ-Contest] A proposal

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A proposal
From: Mike Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 22:43:50 -0400
Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>Jim,
>

>>There is no LAW against an "Activity Day" (contest) on a
>>"WARC band." There's no LAW against a five-word-per-minute CW
>>ragchewer on 7010 during a DX contest, either. Somebody just
>>has to organize the Activity Day, announce it, and pump it
>>up. We could do it on this very reflector. You would not need
>>high power or a beam to be competitive in an activity like
>>this. How cool would it be if we moved the upcoming NAQP CW
>>to 30, 17, and 12 Meters? (Oh, OK, it would be cooler if we
>>had some sunspots.)
>>

>Unlike some others, I think short (6 to 12 hour) "activity
>periods" would be good for 17 and 12 meters.  I would see that
>they are scheduled at times when there isn't a major activity
>on the older bands so as not to "fill up" all the bands with
>"contest" type activity and I would do only one band at a time
>- again to avoid "contest monopolization."

    The problem as I see it is that believe it or not, there are a lot
of people out there that don't like contesters at all. Seems they think
we clog up the bands, and play the he who has the most power gets the
frequency game.

    One of our best responses to complaints it to tell the detractors
that they can always go to the band where there aren't any contests.It
would probably be a good idea to leave those bands to them. Just because
contests are popular doesn't mean that contesters are popular.

    - 73 de Mike KB3EIA -