Re: [CQ-Contest] A New Perspective [was:WRTC Spot/Log Correlation]

To: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>,CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A New Perspective [was:WRTC Spot/Log Correlation]
From: Ken Alexander <k.alexander@rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 18:23:51 -0400 (EDT)
Let me see if I understand this.  We all operate CQWW
SSB (for example) and submit our results.  Along with
those results we send in a station profile...mine
might say:
- Single op (oops...nothing revolutionary there!),
- all bands (oops...nothing revolutionary there!),
- 100W,
- vertical antenna,
- Ontario, Canada,
- 19 hours on air,
- and so on, and so on.

CQ publishes the results, presumably according to
final score because we've done away with the former
categories.  And now I'm supposed to determine how I
did compared to operators who are similarly equipped
and situated.

So now I have to recreate the same old categories
myself to filter out the majority of results that
don't concern me.  Then I have to create several new
categories (filters might be a better description) so
I can see only the 15 or 20 other ops that I really
competed with.

I guess that would be interesting, but I hope the
contest sponsors will provide the raw results in a
format I can import into MS-Access, or on a website
equipped to drill down into the data to display these
sub-sub-sub-categories.

An interesting "evolutionary" step, but not
revolutionary.

"Wow!  I just came in 1st in single-op, 80-40-20,
100W, vertical antenna/ground mounted, low loss coax,
dipole on 80, unassisted, 462 ft ASL, 44 deg N, 1500
mi. inland, no speech processor, no voice keyer, 16h
on 80m/12h on 40m/10h on 20m category!!!  I'm the king
of the world!!!"

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS