Re: [CQ-Contest] A New Perspective [was:WRTC Spot/Log Correlation]

To: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>,"CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A New Perspective [was:WRTC Spot/Log Correlation]
From: "VE5ZX" <ve5zx@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 18:59:20 -0600
Kelly, Kelly, Kelly - let me rattle your cage a bit more :)

> That's why you have competitions based on geography. I can easily look at
> the ARRL regional boxes and see how I did compared to others in this
> division. I can look at the results for Manitoba and find out how I did

The provinces and states are politcal regions with geographical boundaries.
Why not let me choose the geographical region I am interested in by allowing
me to filter contest data by QTH or maidenhead any way I want to.

> It doesn't matter one whit whether I have 10/10/10/10/10 on five bands:
> I'm still going to be pasted by a KT34 at 50 feet located in Maine. (In a
> DX contest, at least.)

Absolutely true! So lets drop them from the comparison - it is easy to do
with a contest data stored in a database.

> So on that basis, I see no value in a set of rules where the only
> distinction is going to be equipment.

The set of rules doesn't just contain equipment it also contains
geographical location and it can be supplemented with realtime propagation
data. There are lots of options to open new doors for research into radio
sports

> Don't you see: the regional disparity you use to discredit my argument is
> EXACTLY WHY I don't see value in Ev's idea.

Perhaps you are not interested in this type of comparison then you can
select to look at the data in the traditional way. Please don't restrict the
rest of us for digging a bit deeper into the art of radio sport..

I guess we have to agree to disagree :) Going Fishing!

Syl

Sylvan Katz - VE5ZX
Saskatoon, SK