Re: [CQ-Contest] No Dit-Dit (was Sending Speed)

To: cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] No Dit-Dit (was Sending Speed)
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 18 Sep 2006 09:20:34 -0500
On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 07:54, Hal Offutt wrote:
> Rather than seeing this practice as rude, I take it as a compliment when an
> experienced Sprinter does not send "dit-dit" after I send my information. He
> is saying, in effect, "I think you are a good enough operator to understand
> that I have copied your exchange and don't need to acknowledge.  If I hadn't
> copied your exchange, I would have asked for a fill."

What would concern me about this practice, is what happens if I *didn't*
copy your exchange and *did* ask for a fill -- but that request got
clobbered by three other stations calling.

It's happened to me before: while the CQing station, I've missed part of
someone's exchange, [0] tried to ask for a fill, been clobbered by
multiple callers, kept trying to get the other station's attention for
the fill, and never did before he QSYd.  Of course, he lost the QSO --
but so did I -- through no fault of my own.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66

[0] usually due to my own incompetence; sometimes due to QRM/QRN or even
the other guy flubbing his CW.