Re: [CQ-Contest] ZoneProp REMINDER

To: "Guy Molinari" <guy_molinari@hotmail.com>,"VE5ZX" <ve5zx@hotmail.com>,"CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ZoneProp REMINDER
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:15:38 -0600
Isn't this just an extension of the "If your wife brings you a sandwich, you
better enter as assisted" argument?

I see nowhere in the rules is there a prohibition on accessing propagation
information. Nor do I, in my 25 years of ham radio, perceive any suggestion
that the ephemeral "spirit" of contesting forbids it. (The only POSSIBLE
exception, and it would be a stretch, IMHO, is the WW DX rules that say use
of DX alterting assistance of any kind places the op in the assisted class.
Whether that's to mean propagation intelligence we'll have to wait and see.)

I also see nowhere in here any suggestion that ZoneProp provides specific
frequency information nor provides any guarantee that if it says there
should be a path to VR6, there will be a VR6 there to work.

Indeed, it can't even guarantee that if conditions suggest there SHOULD be a
path that there actually WILL be a path.

Also, at the levels where this MIGHT make the slightest bit of difference, I
suspect the operators are too busy juggling both radios and already KNOW
what's open where anyway.

Yes, the rules PROHIBIT using non-amateur means of communication TO SOLICIT
QSOs. They do not contain a blanket prohibition on use of non-amateur means
for the duration of the contest for any reason.

Syl, however, is right: the ONLY opinions that matter belong to the various
contest sponsors. I await their judgment.

73, kelly
ve4xt