Re: [CQ-Contest] SO vs. SOA Scores

To: "'Jim George'" <n3bb@mindspring.com>,"'Jeff Steinman'" <n5tj@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO vs. SOA Scores
From: <k0luz@topsusa.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 23:46:52 -0500
Well said George.  If the major criteria is that you have the contest be a
"lonely vigil" (tongue in check - whoa ---   easy now --- whoa)  otherwise
defined as Unassisted,  then operators using telnet or packet are indeed in
a different category.  But several perspectives such as Jose, CT1BOH make a
lot of sense defining the advantages of other "single operator unassisted
"tools" such as SO2R.  But if you use only the criteria that you it has to
be a "lonely vigil",  then the separation of categories are distinct.

Jim,  in the narration below, describes his adventures once using the
Assisted category and the fun he had.  Reading that made me realize that
those who are most adament about anyone using assisted are getting too much
assistance from other people are probably the same operators who have NEVER
used the assisted mode.  Maybe they are still using CT in the dos mode or
they just "hate packet" (sound familiar Tree?? surely he jest).  For those
who have not used it,  using assisted for a contest might help them
understand that assisted is just more fun.  It isn't that big of a deal as
far as giving anyone a distinct edge.

I'm going back to another plea I made several years ago about making scores
real time.  This is now happening and again,  we get the gnashing of teeth
that this isn't unassasted and needs to be stopped.  How many other
competitions are done with each person required to be an isolated cubicle?
Perhaps unassisted only participants enjoyed taking finals where group
participation is banned in college and contesting recreates that wonderful
experience.  But most competitions are group endevours.  How many other
competitions can you name that keeps each of the contestants isolated?  Much
of the joy of competition is the feeling of teamwork, getting to know your
competitors, interacting with your competition and competing in "real time"
with them so that you know where you and they stand.

Many of the posts refer to advantages and disadvantages of assisted and
unassisted in the framework of "doing it yourself".  While the real point
should be that interaction makes the contest more fun for most people. This
may may a hook to get some of today's gamers to take a look at ham radio.
Here is a platform that has so many variables that gamers may find this as
an ultimate competition.  Thus creating more competition and more fun for
all of us.

For those who want to do it alone. Go ahead and enjoy yourselves.  (Could
they possibly be very introverted??).  Just don't make it sound that placing
an operator in an cubicle away from everyone else is the only right way to
contest.  Those who do it otherwise may be just as good of operators and
enjoy the additional interaction.  They may enjoy the interaction so much
that they lose the drive to make being in the top ten the goal.  Display the
on-line score boards,  right down to the time, frequency and call of the
last worked station of all participants. (did I say that????).  It might
make the contest even more fun.  It would be interesting to see what
dynamics come out of this type of contest.

Oh,  yeah,  it's not like the category we have had for the past 40 years.
But then we did CW for the past 40 years too and when attitudes about CW
changed,  and we objected.  How did we do stopping that locomotive??  Or as
Dr. Phil would say ----"How is that working for you???

Embrace the technology.

Merry Christmas
Red K0LUZ