Re: [CQ-Contest] SO vs. SOA Scores

To: n5tj@hotmail.com, CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO vs. SOA Scores
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:02:44 EST

In a message dated 12/20/2006 8:10:00 A.M. Central Standard Time,
n5tj@hotmail.com writes:

Yes, I  done a few serious SOA entries over the
years. It's a different kind of  challenge, one I find less enjoyable that
tuning a receiver to find  multipliers.

Everyone has different motivations for the category they enter.  I  operate
assisted for only one purpose, to increase my 160M country total.   I can watch
for new countries, or just gauge the conditions on the top band  while
competing in the contest.

The unintended but pleasant side effect is that for a low power guy, SOA  LP
is presently much less competitive than SO LP.  With a minimal  effort, I can
get a score within the top ten SOA, where that would not be  possible in the
SO category.  I expect that will change over the years as  the category gets
more popular.

Paul, K5AF