[CQ-Contest] Spotting AD Nauseum

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Spotting AD Nauseum
From: "Martin Monsalvo, LU5DX" <lu5dx@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:00:49 -0800 (PST)
> Reality Show.  Packet and spotting is here to stay.  I believe
> that ASSISTED / NON-ASSISTED should be lumped into one category.
> If you think spotting  helps, use it.  At least then the (too
> many) Assisted Cheaters can then use it without being dishonest.

Here's a parallel argument - I don't support it either  :-)

Reality Show.  Amplifiers are here to stay.  I believe that
HP/LP/QRP should be lumped into one category.  If you think
power helps, use it.  At least then the (too many) Power
Cheaters can then use it without being dishonest.

73,
Paul EI5DI

  Paul & all:

  Jim is right. It is ridiculous to keep differencing SO from SO Assisted. Too
much has been said about it. ON4UN is also right when he writes about packet
cluster in the fourth edition of his master piece called Low Band DXing.

This differentiation only allows cheaters to cheat a lot. The parallel argument
does not work at all. QRP is plenty of honest people. Not so the Low power
categories, but well, that should be another problem to be taken care of.

  Technology is here to stay, you just cannot stop it. People uses it and that
is all. And people cheats, some of them at least. In our hobby there are
cheaters that claim to be SO, but there are also single ops, that after
entering a contest submit their log as assisted to climb positions or just to
win a $ 40 dollar.

  And for those telling that real men do not use packet, I believe they will
agree to mix the two categories because they always perform better than people
using Dx clusters.

  Anyway I must warn you, give N5TJ a packet cluster @ EA8BH during next
sunspot peak, and he'll demolish his own record in both CQ WW DX SSB and CW
contests.

  73

  Martin, LU5DX
  My online blog @ http://lu5dx.blogspot.com