Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting AD Nauseum

To: "Martin Monsalvo, LU5DX" <lu5dx@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting AD Nauseum
From: DL8MBS <prickler.schneider@t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:15:26 +0100
Martin Monsalvo, LU5DX wrote:

>The parallel argument does not work at all. QRP is plenty of honest people.
>Not so the Low power categories, but well, that should be another problem to
>be taken care of.

IMHO the comparison between power- and cluster-categories is perfectly
valid. One of the standard arguments for abolishong
unassisted-categories is "Cheating with cluster/packet cannot be
proven". That sounds like double standards in comparison to continuing
power categories - which are completely out of any reasonable control
and only up to operator´s honesty. It is less difficult to chase
cluster-cheating (see DJ1YFK´s recent statistics) than to prove
power-cheating.
But of course organizers are free (and perhaps forced) to do what is
more popular: allowing casual and competetive participants assistance by
others via cluster/packet (and relieve the otherwise necessary strain
for their VFO-tuning finger) and at the same time keeping up with the
popular LP-categories. It may be justified with a supposed bigger impact
of power than with that of external assistance. But arguments based on
chances to prevent cheating sound more like: "We can´t nail those
power-cheaters (and there also qrp-results making one think a lot), so
we do want to nail those packet-cheaters. Seems like there is no easy
escape from the mild shizophrenia of a competition (it´s called contest
not activity weekend) based more or less on the assumption of honesty.

73, Chris

(www.dl8mbs.de)