[CQ-Contest] Packet debate

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packet debate
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:33:43 -0700
Glad to see we finally have some traction on finally resolving the long
running assisted versus un-assisted debate.

Okay - tongue back out of my cheek.

I have a very concrete example of the difference using packet can make.

In the SS CW contest - I ended up missing the top ten by a score difference
that would have mostly been made up if I had worked a clean sweep.  I missed
VO1.

As it turns out, I was on the right band to work one, but was CQing most
of the time and wasn't able to tune on the same band while transmitting.

Note that there is a rule against using a remote receiver that is physically
removed from my QTH by more than 500 meters:

3.7. All transmitters and receivers must be located within a 500-meter
diameter circle, excluding antennas.

Most people would think it unfair if I was using a receiver in a far away
place in order to hear stations better than I can at my transmit location.

I am sure if I had a computer looking at packet during the contest, I would
have seen this:

W6IYS     21021.6 VO1HE       NL  freq correction           1658 05 Nov 2006
KB4GYT    21041.0 VO1TA                                     1715 05 Nov 2006
N9LJX     21042.2 VO1TA                                     1730 05 Nov 2006
KT0R      21011.9 VO1HP       NL FOR THE SWEEP !            1745 05 Nov 2006
W6EU      21012.0 VO1HP       NL                            1757 05 Nov 2006
K1KO      21012.0 VO1HP       -- my 1st sweep!!!            1810 05 Nov 2006
K6VVA     21012.0 VO1HP       NL 59 Mins but a Clean Sweep! 1819 05 Nov 2006
AA9DY     21012.0 VO1HP                                     1828 05 Nov 2006
VO1MP     21011.8 VO1HP                                     1844 05 Nov 2006
K6EU      21012.0 VO1HP                                     1904 05 Nov 2006
W6OAT     21012.0 VO1HP       NL                            1907 05 Nov 2006
WY3X      21012.0 VO1HP       NL                            1929 05 Nov 2006
N3AD      21011.9 VO1HP       SWEEP NW I CAN GO HOME        1933 05 Nov 2006
K4EC      21011.9 VO1HP                                     1941 05 Nov 2006

It would have been simple to keep an ear on 21012 and worked VO1HP sometime
during the morning.

I think this is a case that shows that having assistance would have clearly
had an impact to my score.  Also - as other "fresh meat" is located on
Sunday, I could improve my second radio tuning technique.

True - this isn't a DX contest and the packet pileup issue isn't as big of
a problem - but it seems we are talking about general concepts here that are
not specific to DX contests.

As a final point - if it is illegal for me to use a remote receiver - why
would it be okay for me to get information from remote receivers that have
people in front of them?

I think this all gets down to trying to perserve the contest in ways that
we personally have come to value them.  We will always have this difference
of opinion about what makes sense - but I think it is fair to say there are
a LOT of people who want to see the two categories remain apart.

Now - back to trying to get the mental picture of N6TJ shuddering out of my
head.  :-)

Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net